General Services | Clare Abbey
The Doctors and Nurses of Saffron & Blue Medical Centre provide a range of general services:-
- Blood Screening
- Driving Licence Medical Test
- 24 HR Blood Pressure Monitoring
- Influenza & Pneumococcal Vaccinations
- Minor Surgery & Joint Injections
- STI Screening
- Travel Medicine
- Occupational Health Services
- Blood Tests are ordered by your doctor or consultant are taken by the Nurse.
- Self ordered bloods are not advised by evidence based medicine, and can give false reassurance in the presence of symptoms. We recommend you consult your doctor who will examine you and advise what tests are appropriate (if any).
- Priority is given to those requiring fasting blood tests and these are allocated our earlier appointment times. Blood tests are taken during our Nurse’s morning clinic.
- If you require blood test results for attendance at another medical clinic/appointment please make your appointment 10 days in advance in order to ensure your results have been returned from the laboratory.
- Please note routine blood testing is not covered under the GMS contract.
- Patients requesting blood tests for attendance at private consultants clinics will be charge in the normal way. If you are unsure if this applies in your particular case, please ask the Receptionist when booking your appointment. It is the responsibility of the patient to collect/send their test results to their consultant.
Driving Licence Medical Test
Please mention when booking your appointment that you are attending for Driving Licence Medical Test. The relevant forms are available for download. Please complete as much of the form as possible before your appointment. The cost for this consultation is €50.
An Electrocardiogram (or ECG as it is commonly called) is a measure of the electrical activity of your heart. It is performed to assist in the diagnosis of heart conditions. This test is completely pain free and will take approximately ten minutes to perform.
24 HR Blood Pressure Monitoring
These monitors are an essential part of diagnosis and treatment for patients with cardiac/blood pressure problems. The monitor is a small mobile device which is worn on the arm. It monitors your blood pressure at intervals over a 24 hour period.
Influenza & Pneumococcal Vaccinations
At Saffron & Blue Medical Clinic we operate vaccination clinics during the months of September, October, and November. Please advise the Receptionist at time of booking that you wish to be vaccinated and she can schedule your appointment during the clinic times. These vaccinations are free to all medical card holders. Private patients should check with the Receptionist as to the fee applicable.
Minor Surgery & Joint Injections
Dr. Colum Gavin runs a minor surgery clinic each week where he treats a wide variety of skin and joint problems.
- Insertion and removal of Implants – Implanon (contraception), Vantas (treatment of prostate cancer).
- Procedures include: removal of skin cancers, moles, skin tags, skin biopsies. Cryotherapy of warts/verrucae/pre-cancer skin changes(AK)
- Removal of cysts, lipoma, ingrown toe nails.
- Joint Injections – procedure is covered by private health insurance and GMS. A facility fee will be charged to all patients.
These services are available to patients from other medical practices – a GP referral letter is required.
We are pleased to advise that within our practice, Dr. Colum Gavin is Skin Cancer College Accreditted. This means that he has successfully completed hight level training with the Skin Cancer College, Australasia and has proven skills and knowledge in the diagnosis and management of skin cancer.
Venesection is the treatment of Haemochromatosis by removing a unit of blood. This can be performed here at the Saffron & Blue Medical Clinic and is covered by PHI/GMS.
At Saffron & Blue Medical Clinic we provide full and comprehensive screening tests for STI’s. Specifically we test for HIV, Hepatitis, Syphilis, Gonorrhoea, Chlamydia. Screening will involve the taking of a urine sample to test for Chlamydia and Gonorrhoea, and a blood sample to test for HIV, Syphilis, Hepatitis B and C. A male or female doctor is available on request.
A STI is an infection that is contracted from one person to another through sexual intercourse (vaginal, oral or anal). Sexually transmitted infections are often silent and without symptoms especially in males. Left untreated these infections can be serious. Screening offers peace of mind and appropriate treatment options if necessary. Depending on diagnosis the treatment is often a simple course of antibiotics to clear the infection and prevent it from spreading.
The symptoms of an STI can include: Itching in the pubic/genital area, pelvic pain, vaginal/penile discharge, pain on passing urine/other urinary symptoms, genital lumps, genital sores or ulcers.
For further information/booking please telephone 065 6829719
Many cuts can be sutured (stitched) in our surgery by the doctor instead of having to spend a long period in the waiting room of the Accident & Emergency Dept. of your hospital. In some cases, your health insurance (VHI, Aviva, Laya, Glohealth) may cover the full cost of suturing.
When visiting some countries it is advisable to receive vaccinations against diseases like Typhoid, Hepatitis A, Yellow Fever and Malaria. The doctor will advise as to the appropriate vaccinations for your trip. Please book your appointment well in advance of your holiday to ensure adequate cover. Some immunisations and vaccinations are not covered by the GMS.
Occupational Health Services
At Saffron & Blue Medical Clinic we offer a range of Occupational Health services. These services include:
- Pre-employment and Annual Medicals
- Vaccinations – flu, hepatitis, tetanus and travel
- Assessments of occupational injury
- Fitness for work and return to work assessments
- Preventative health screening programmes